Tuesday, October 23, 2012

A Growing Relationship

I'd like to say my relationship with the news has sky rocketed from the beginning of the semester. Now whenever I walk by and see the stacks of a new issue of The New Hampshire I decide to grab one. I usually read just the first couple of pages, most articles not all the way through. I feel more interested in the stories, realizing that it is good practice to read other journalists articles. Reading other peoples good writing can be used as a tool for myself to write better. A good article gives a way of writing an article differently than you organically do. You might catch something in other peoples writing that you want to use in yours. Write now in one of my writing classes, the class was told to pick a nonfiction book and read it all, then imitate there style of writing. I did this freshmen year with a class. The final result is amazing. I took in so much good writing that it made my writing that much better. I feel like this goes for news writing in a way, but more with the structure of an article. How does the reporter get my attention? How do they go off of their lead? Who do the quote and where do they put these quotes in there articles? How do they get to the heart of the story? These are all good questions to ask when reading a good journalists work. I'm trying to read more to learn more, and its making my relationship with the news grow stronger and stronger.

(This has nothing to do with what I was talking about.)
I started to become interested in photography over the summer when my parents bought an SLR camera. I toyed around with it during the summer on trips I would take, beautiful days outside the house, and at gatherings I would have with friends. I taught myself how to mess a round with lighting, exposure, aperture, and all the silly effects. I'm still learning how to use this camera, I've realized how long it can take to fully understand every aspect of an SLR. I'm still trying to get those amazing pictures. Just now I thought that I should post some of the pictures I've taken that I like. This is the post where I will begin this quest of taking the best photo for my blog.

Photo: Doug Robichaud  Location: Hampton Public Works, Hampton, NH 

No comments:

Post a Comment